In a recent interview, Google’s CEO said that AI technology could be a more profound breakthrough than fire or electricity. Indeed, AI is transforming the world at every level and it’s virtually all that everyone is talking about these days. So, we’re not surprised you’re looking to buy a .ai domain name and we’re glad you’re here because we’re going to show you exactly how to do it.
To be more specific, by the time you finish reading, you’ll have learned how to find, buy, and register a .ai domain name for your new website.
SPOILER: it’s easier than you think.
Let’s get started!
Search for an available .ai domain name
Before choosing the perfect .ai domain name for your website, you must check if it’s available.
If you already have a name in mind for your domain/business, there are several ways to check if that business name is taken. We’ll take a look at those, then share how you can find a new domain name if your top choice is already taken.
Do a web search 🔎
The easy way to do it.
Type the .ai domain name you’d like to use for your new site in your browser, press Enter and see the results.
If you land on a website, the domain name is unavailable. It has an owner, and you can’t use it.
Let’s say you want to build a company called ThinkDeep. You do a web search for thinkdeep.ai, and you land on the following page:
Oh, well, that didn’t go as expected. ThinkDeep AI is a French software company whose domain name is thinkdeep.ai. Unfortunately, you need to choose a different domain name.
What if you land on a DNS error page? Then, most likely, the domain name is available for you to use.
See the following example:
We typed the domain name thinkindepth.ai in our browser and landed on an error page. To be sure the domain name is not taken, do a quick Google search to confirm no one else is using it.
Look up in the WHOIS database 🧐
The WHOIS database lists all registered domains and collects information about their owners.
Follow these steps to check if a .ai domain name is available and who owns it:
1. Go to WHOIS.
2. Type a domain name in the search bar. For example, thinkdeep.ai.
3. The fields Registrar Info and Important Dates show the domain is active and registered.
4. The following image shows the status of a non-registered domain in WHOIS. For this example, we used the domain name thinkindepth.ai.
Check domain registrars 🧑💻
A domain registrar is a company that sells and registers domain names.
Checking if a domain name is available with a domain registrar is similar to doing so via a web search or looking up a domain in the WHOIS database. Just type a domain name in the registrar’s search bar, and you’ll instantly know if it’s taken.
Before you do that though, you need to actually choose a suitable domain registrar. Some domain registrars don’t offer .ai domain names yet, but there are some great registrars that do. The following three are our top picks, listed along with some added benefits of each one.
- Namecheap: purchase a .ai domain name for $79.98 in your first year. They also offer additional services like web hosting and email hosting to meet all your online needs.
- GoDaddy: purchase a .ai domain name for $59.99 in your first year. Similar to NameCheap, GoDaddy also offers web hosting packages and various bonus features ranging from security to optimal performance.
- IONOS: purchase a .ai domain name for $77 in your first year. This is a great option if you’re a budget-conscious entrepreneur seeking an affordable start to your online venture while enjoying competitive renewal prices. Explore discounted web hosting options, such as the Business WordPress Hosting plan available at a reduced rate in the first year.
Important note about .ai domain names ⚠️
.ai domain names are more expensive than popular top-level domains (TLDs) like .com or .net. For instance, at the time of this writing, a .com domain name purchased from Namecheap costs as low as $5.98 per year, while a .ai domain name costs $79.98 per year.
|Domain registrar||.ai domain name price|
|Namecheap||$79.98 per year (first year); renewal rate is $179.96|
|GoDaddy||$59.99 per year (first year); renewal rate is $139.99|
|IONOS||$77 per year (first year); renewal rate is $110|
Buy and register your .ai domain name
Once you choose a domain registrar that fits your business requirements, it’s time to buy and register your .ai domain name.
The process is straightforward:
1. Go to the domain registrar. For this example, we’re using Namecheap.
2. Type a domain name in the search bar and press Search.
3. If the domain name is in green color, it means it’s available. Click Add to cart.
4. You’ll get offers for additional services like SSL, VPN, or hosting. Add them to your cart if needed and click Checkout on your bottom right.
5. At this point you’ll see a detailed list of the items you’re about to purchase. If the price is higher than you expected, it’s because as of right now, .ai domain names come with a minimum two-year contract. Assuming everything looks good to you, click Confirm Order and complete the payment.
Final thoughts on how to buy a .ai domain name 🏁
In this article, we’ve provided you with practical strategies to obtain a .ai domain name for your website:
- Conduct web searches to check the availability of your desired domain name.
- Check the WHOIS database to gather information about registered domains.
- Explore reputable domain registrars to find and secure your .ai domain name.
After choosing an available domain registrar such as Namecheap, GoDaddy, or IONOS, follow the process we outlined to register your new .ai domain name. On a final note, and to reiterate what was stated earlier, keep in mind that .ai domain names are more expensive than regular .com or .org domains. This means you need to be prepared to drop at least $60+ for the first year of registration and even more than that in total.
👉 If this is your first time building a business, check out our tips for building an online business.